Because the only thing more terrifying than velociraptors are velociraptors that can fly.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Not as Bad as I Thought it'd Be

So I've been editing my novel(la), On the Horizon, as of late, what with that whole "it needs to be finished so that I can receive this degree I've spent lots of time and money on getting" thing, and it hasn't been as terrible as I expected.

Not a stunning declaration of my everlasting love for the editing process, to be sure, but coming from me that's saying something. I was about to say "I'm not sure what it is I don't like about editing," but that's not true. I do know what it is I dislike: I have only so much motivational capital (i.e. the drive to perform a task) available to me at one time. If I spend that capital on editing, it is not available to spend on writing new stories. I love writing new stories, but if I am editing, I cannot do something I love.

It's sort of like exercising versus reading a book. They're both positive things, but the former is kinda painful and takes a lot of effort. The latter is fun and absorbing. I realize that I need to exercise (or edit) but it takes so much work to make a noticeable difference that, at times, I just avoid it all together.

That being said, I'm starting to thaw toward editing this novel(la) a tad. I'm going to have to make some major changes in the original draft to get something I can be proud of, but the idea of doing so is marginally less terrifying. It's not fun, by any means, but I've seen visible improvement in the first few chapters I've altered.

(That being said, if you'd like to read my novel, drop me a line. I'm going to need a lot of readers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment